Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Short term expectations

Today is the longest I have worked in Japan!

When I accepted this short term contract about 9 months ago, I did not expect to work really hard, getting down to details and micro managing people. It has almost becoming a drag to work nowadays! Just recently, it has been a chore just to get out of bed and drag myself to work. In addition to this, the humid summer in Tokyo did not help either!

What did I expect? Well, let's see....
1. I expected to see more of Japan but have probably covered a tiny bit of this island nation
2. Make new friends but it's been limited to colleagues at work...Gosh that probably explains why I am such a geek nowadays.
3. Find myself! At least accept that I'm gay and move on but that decision hasn't been made yet fully! Thinking that I'm in a new place, I should get in touch with that side of me....but to be honest, I have not had the strength to go through this process.
4. Pick up a new language. Well I'm struggling big time nowadays. At 34, the brain is really stretched when it comes to learn a new language. At least I'm picking words here and there but I wanted to do more. Like being able to recognise the katakana and hiragana characters.
5. Not work so hard but this is just in the past...sigh!
6. And lastly to obtain a lean mean machine body (plus the 6 pack abs!) considering Japanese food is so much healtier.... but I'm probably 25% there.

Anyway my Japan stint is coming to an end and I have to make up for lost time! I hope there are no regrets when I leave this place that I have come to enjoy so much over the last couple of months.

6 Comments:

At 12:33 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess working in Japan is brutal. That could be why it didn't come out as it should? On the bright side, it won't be forever. Some well...many people here in Japan work so much forever for nothing. god, i am one of those...

 
At 1:22 AM , Blogger savante said...

Why aren't you travelling around Japan?

 
At 4:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

So when is the last day in Japan? And where is the next posting? Back to SG?

 
At 9:10 PM , Blogger aiskrem_potong said...

gosh.. you are just like me! learn the language, finding myself, having a lean mean machine body (not aiming for the 6-abs though.. that would be a little bit over the top for me..hehhe) and NOT work so hard - these are all the things that i planned of doing before i took up MY current job. i think you are doing much better than me though...

 
At 11:16 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you enjoyed your time in Japan?

 
At 7:11 PM , Blogger Rick Bettencourt said...

I didn't know till this post that you were a "consultant". Where are you off to next? I think you should post about it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home