Sunday, July 09, 2006

Humbling moments

I must say what I did this weekend was just SLEEP!! I was a sleeping beauty this weekend - catching up with all the countless of hours that I lost during the week! :-) Gosh..after all the sleeping.... I'm still buggered! What can I say? Sleeping is toxic to the body. The challenge now is to be in bed by 12 pm (I must be saying this in my previous entries!! and still haven't goten the right formulae yet!!)

Not wanting to feel like a lazy shit this weekend, I thought I should visit the Tokyo Metropolitan Museum of Photography which is next to the Yebisu Garden Towers. It's summer and the folks are out and about. I should join the crowd as well right? and be a arty farty person today!

Today's main exhibition was the World Press Photo 06

The first picture in the exhibition was so powerful....

I was dumbfounded!
I was totally shocked!
I was in awe!
I was in tears!
I felt so emotional for the next hour or so..

and I was humbled...

After the first 10 minutes of me being in the exhibition, I felt so embarrassed about my work and personal issues that I can never complain again about trival matters like these anymore. Comparing to the sufferring that these people had to endure, mine were nothing. Just one spoilt urban 30 year old guy who believed that the world owes him a living. I promised myself that I will keep my complaints to a minimum and I to remind myself everyday that I'm one of the few lucky ones living in this very brutal and crazy world. I am again humbled by today's events.

The people who were featured in the photos were really sufferring, they were in pain. Sadness and hopelessness were everywhere - in almost every single picture. These people went through bigger issues in life - it's a matter of survival. The very basic need of a human.

Why is the world so brutal?
Why is the world full of evil?

And I should be so lucky and thankful!

3 Comments:

At 11:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn, it's only open until 30th!!! I definitely cannot go.. sad.

Thanks for the link. I am glad those thumnails are small enough not to know what they really are. But since I am so pervy, I got to appreciate this very much. :-)

 
At 11:09 PM , Blogger Maximus Leo said...

Shigeki - hahahaha - totally agree as well! I did take some time out of this emotionally feeling and decided to stare at this picture for a while :-) I admire the body.....hehehehe

Too bad you can't make it! Do try though if you can...only takes an hour or so but the pictures are very powerful!!

 
At 6:18 PM , Blogger Rick Bettencourt said...

It's amazing how art can have an effect like that. I love going to the museum for just that experience. Even looking at beautiful paintings from the 15th century...I get humbled by their beauty.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home