Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Just finding the path...

I have been in Tokyo almost 4 months now and so far so good. I've gone through one of the coldest winter in Tokyo (and that means snow!) and now entering Spring-now looking forward to the full cherry blossom bloom in a couple of weeks time. I'm getting to know this place better albeit with my limited Japanese skills. I'm never too far away from picture menus - so that helps, plus ordering beers and alchohols in Japanese is relatively easy after mastering a few common phrases! As for taxis - a bit more challenging as this involve some sign languages and giving instructions in Japanese. So far so good but I have not venture far enough except for Roppongi Hills and Shibuya!

Yes - I'm living the expat life here. Great! :-) but that's not really why I'm here. My work is challenging as it involves managing peoples expectations, changing the way we process information (and this includes some change management activities as well) and working with touchy issues..... I struggle sometimes with managing conflicts and hate doing conference calls if it involves touchy subjects. It gets a bit akward there and then and check this out - discussing an accounting issue for an hour over the phone! how exciting can this be?

Sometimes I ask myself, is this what I want. My life over the last 6 years, work as defined me. Is this sad, bad or an easy way out? Does money define me? What about family and friends? Have I managed to spend quality time with them and getting to know them better? What do I want for the future? How do I want to spend my life in the next 10 years.... Well really, being closeted is not easy at this point in my life. The career thing - do I choose this path or stay single and closeted or hide by my woman (if I find one?) Too be brutally honest with myself, my personal life has been just lies....and so superficial...

4 Comments:

At 4:50 PM , Blogger savante said...

Whoa. It must be great living like an expat over there...

Paul

 
At 7:20 PM , Blogger Rick Bettencourt said...

If I were you I would take a day to yourself and focus on goal setting. Ever read "First Things First" by Stephen Covey? Excellent book. You might want to grab a book like that and do some of the enlightening exercises.

Good luck!

 
At 7:29 PM , Blogger Maximus Leo said...

Boy - I need to make this decision and then focus on the future. Before doing this, the gay issue needs to be settled for once! I think I'm coming to terms about it but tell you what it's quite daunting....

Paul - Yes, just another expat tosser here! :-) and it's great living in Tokyo and enjoying every second of it to the extend my liver is suffering from drinking excessive alchohol!

 
At 7:32 PM , Blogger Maximus Leo said...

Rick - I have not read First Things First but will look for the book when I'm in a bookshop next. Am currently reading The Power of Your Subconscious Mind by Dr Joseph Murphy! Cheers....

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home