Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Just healthy or Brokeback

I remembered that 18 years ago in some remote place in the UK, during our physical ed classes, we had to choose between, rugby, rowing or running. For people like us who were physically challenged, running was the the only option but we could cheat by walking the route or drag ourselves through the trail by a combination of running and walking. Rugby and rowing was definite a NO NO although hanging out with the hunks was an option but during those days if you were found to be attracted to guys - you'll be lynched!

I found running a drag but I had no choice, however I had a friend who one day decided to run with me. He encouraged and cajoled me throughout the trail and just kept me going. Next I realised I completed the trail! The feeling of accomplishing a momentous feat like this was just great! What happen next over the next couple of years was ...well just leave it that way.

I'm now 30 something and have completed one full marathon and half a dozen of half marathons over the last couple of years. To be fair, I started exercising seriously whilst I was in New Zealand. During one of my routine health checkup - the doctor told me that I had a reasonably high blood pressure and cholesterol level and being twentysomething, that was a scary thought. My family had a history of diabetes and high blood pressure and I just had to keep healhty in order to stay alive. I decided that I need to be trim to stay alive and that is when I started exercising seriously!

I have been pretty trimmed for the last couple of years but as for the desired body fat level - well I have not managed to reach my target level of 10% yet. I've been fighting the alcohol binging sessions but I'm losing out on this..... it's all about socialzing and networking :-) So my routine for the week is 4 sessions of weight training and followed by two days of running. My diet is restricted to a Myoplex shake in the morning, a cup of Starbucks coffee of the day (black and no sugar), lunch (thank god this is normal food) and followed by more black coffee in the afternoon, and the dinner is either a tuna sandwich or 3 egg whites and 2 servings of vegetable.

Sometimes I wonder now whether my zealous focus on getting the body fat down is a health matter or just being Brokeback? :-)

2 Comments:

At 2:00 AM , Blogger Rick Bettencourt said...

I enjoy the Myoplex shakes as well. Have you tried the Body for Life program? It's grueling but well worth it. I got down to about 12% body fat on it a couple of years ago but am now probably back upward to 15-16%. The program encourages 6 meals a day. This really helps ward off the hunger. Some of the meals are small, like cottage cheese and yogurt or a Myoplex shake or something but it's good. Plus you workout 6 times week! Like I said grueling!

Bandit Talks

 
At 11:44 PM , Blogger Maximus Leo said...

Rick - I have come across the Body for Life program but I decided not to follow it as I'm already quite wierd in my eating patterns around my "straight" friends. Just didn't want them to get all "worried" about my diet. SO I excercise pretty intensely to rid of excess fat but as age sets in, somehow the metabolism rate decreases! :-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home