Saturday, March 25, 2006

Expat Tossers in Tokyo

Had dinner tonight at Nishi-azabu with some people that I met through at my friends wedding in Taiwan last month. The restaurant is a Californian fusion food style....excellent food and the atmosphere was great. Who in the right mind would complaint right?

Anyway I was at the restaurant at 9 pm on the dot but my fellow companions were late by at least half an hour. By then, I was sitting at the bar and have drunk two glasses of organic beer! (yes - you hear me right!). Eventually they arrived - one Japanese and the other person was a Scottish. So we sat down and started ordering and OMG, I knew the night was going to be a disaster! This Scottish guy could not stop talking about his work, his trips around Asia and how he just arrived from Singapore to have dinner with us. He could not stop talking about his tonnes of emails that he has to clear this weekend and how he has a fabulous apartment to die for! I mean fine - he can travel the world for I care but he was very condescending too (e.g. - he did not see the need to do Japanese because he travels so much.....or questions he will ask - are all Japanese women subservient?) For a couple of minutes I asked myself how did I get into this situation...I had to get out of this restaurant before I say something stupid in front of him! Who fucking cares if he has 400,00 air-points with BMidlands Gold - buddy I have 300,000 air-points with Singapore Airlines....by the way he travels economy/coach but I travel business :-) - that felt good when I heard that he does coach. (I had a silent smile!)

Well in terms of expat tosser ranking from 1 - 10, this guy is definitely more than 8. I'm just a humble expat - and I rank myself to be around 2-3...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home