Tuesday, September 25, 2007

HIV and Diabetes

I don't think I ever mentioned this on my blog but I volunteer at a local hospice every Tuesday evening caring and looking after HIV / AIDS patients. I have been volunteering for the last couple of months now and everytime I visit the hospice I hope and wish not to see the patients that I tend to the previous week. In most cases they would have been discharged and sent home which means that they will live but in some other cases, their condition deteriorates!

Today we had a couple of new patients and there were two very young guys. They appear to be recently out of school - which is relatively young for them to be infected by HIV but then again, HIV see no boundaries, race, age, religion, gender and socio economic conditions. I didn't get to speak to thm but my other colleagues did. I felt sorry for them but then again, I could be like them if I had made one wrong mistake in my sexual activities. I said a silent prayer for them for I wish them good health for many years to come. To be able to see and feel the world! Be able to be accepted by people in the general community.

So I still don't understand the risk people take just to have casual partners, fuck buddies, open relationships to satisfied their sexual needs. I read a article recently that some people have likend the idea that being infected by HIV is like having diabetics. Yeah right! Come on get a life. Be responsible. After having contact with HIV patients, I think not. Ask them if they prefer to have diabetics or HIV?

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 6:15 PM , Blogger Rick Bettencourt said...

Thank you for volunteering. That's very noble.

You're right. Times have changed and some people (especially the younger generation) don't see the threat of HIV as so bad. Perhaps because of the improvements in drugs they feel it's okay to live with. Ugh.

 
At 9:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's very noble. thanks

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home