Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Addicted to coffee

Not sure what they add into the coffee in Starbucks in Japan but they are definitely stronger and drinkable here as compared to the other countries within the Asia/Australiasia countries.

Last weekend i went down to Kyoto for a short break. A 2 1/2 hour shinkansen ride down and we're in another bustling city in Japan. This time the contrast is greater when it comes to blending the old and the new, two civilizations cohabitating next to each other and somehow people seem to thrive in this environment. I have come to a conclusion that people here are more accomodating but not necessary acceptable however they accept some degree of diversity.

Anyway, what I want to stress is when the Starbucks craze hit Asia, it was cool to hang out at Starbucks...after awhile, one grew out of this fashion fad, graduated and moved away when other brands start competing with Starbucks and off course they serve better coffee and there are less "showy' and have less "noisy students" hanging out at the cafes. The more coffee you drink, the thicker and blacker coffee you would appreciate. Give me a expresso fix and I'll be your friend! I stayed away from Starbucks since then...that was almost 5 years ago. Now having been in Tokyo for the last 5 months, I have come to appreciate the coffee at Starbucks again. It's definitely stronger than the other brands here and the latte to survive. Off course they can't compete with Zoff during the weekend. That's my treat!

And when I got off the train at Kyoto Railway station, the first thing I did was to find myself a Starbucks and got my caffine fix for the day! Sad eh?

4 Comments:

At 2:21 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you go to Starbucks in Paris, you will be surprised how stronger their coffee is! :-)

I cannot live without starbucks. 1. I have two grande americanos a day.

2. the cute barista.

3. the cute barista.

Did I say there was the cute barista at the one I go to?

 
At 4:06 AM , Blogger Wild Reeds said...

Starbucks rulz!
Nice post, Leo...

 
At 10:51 AM , Blogger savante said...

Starbucks!!!! I need my mocha now!

But hey, man, you are never alone. Just a message away from everyone else here :)

Paul

 
At 11:24 PM , Blogger Maximus Leo said...

Shigeki - I would trust you that the coffee at Starbucks would be stonger...after all the French love thier coffee and they have to be strong! 2 grande Americanos...well it use to be Skinny Grande Latte - now it's simply Grande Coffee of the day from Tully's. The Barista must be cute...which Starbucks outlet is this again??

Wild reeds - yes Starbucks rules for now....

Paul - you're a mocha person eh? so you like the cream...have you tried a flat white? They are better and only get them in Australia/New Zealand and Dome cafes as well.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home