Monday, August 07, 2006

Hard Work or Slavery?

I called a very close friend of mine and chatted to her for a while discussing her wedding plans, her requirements for a wedding gift and also conforming my attendance to her wedding. It's going to be a very hectic week I must say - out of Tokyo on Friday and back again on Monday evening! Spending nearly half of the weekend in the air - ie 24 hours all in!!

Something she mentioned today got me thinking about my so called life journey. Why do I worked so hard? Why do I allow this to happen? She also stressed that for the amount of hours I worked plus my experience around the region, I would be better off in another company. I would command a higher salary but without slaving long hours!

So why am I working so hard? I paused and for the next 20 s and thought hard about the question......

If I could answer the question again, my answers would be the following:

1. I've always believe in working hard and delivering results within deadlines
2. With hard work (and off course with a bit luck), management will take notice of you (don't forget playing the politics as well)
3. Being a minority in the Company, where I'm today just fuel my ambition to go further ie I must take on challenges to prove my worth
4. I guess I feel the satisfaction of just being here today.
5. And off course, I'm running away from myself, so putting countless hours at work will allow me not to think of my personal emotional failures.....

This is probably how I see myself - narrow, silo but focused to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Just maybe...Well, enough said for today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home